This may sound a little strange initially but this multi-purpose stone used for worktops and flooring might actually be damaging your health. Although a popular choice because of its sleek look and durability granite emits a radioactive gas called radon. This gas is formed when thorium and uranium decays. Radon is said to be the second main cause of lung cancer.
Radon gas can only detected by specific tests and it cannot be seen or smelt. While you may want to avoid using the material in your home, if you do use it then think about having a radon gas test to check for the levels you may be absorbing.